Advertisement

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

More tests...

Had the long awaited sit down with the doc on Friday, turns out some of the lab tests he ordered weren’t done and others make no sense. End result, we start over, so I went in Saturday and gave them six more vials of blood.

Meanwhile my waking BG Level went from the eighties, thru the nineties and hundreds, to the middle hundreds, and this morning up above two hundred; all in less than three months.

My health plan is offering a new feature, I’ll be able to access the results on line myself as soon as I get the password in the mail. Not a bad thing considering my Doctor is out for the next couple of weeks and I’d at least like to see what the results are. As to what he’s looking for, at this point it looks like he’s trying to rule out a few things, but it may be getting narrowed down to some form of Diabetes Insipidus as opposed to the traditional Mellitus types which would explain why I don’t seem to follow the program like I thought I would. I can hope so anyway since Insipidus appears to be much easier to deal with than some of the other possibilities he’s trying to rule out, like polycystic kidney disease, which is just as bad as it sounds.

That still begs the question of what the difference is between Insipidus and Mellitus. Where Mellitus is caused by either a lack of beta cell production in the pancreas or by insulin resistance, or a combination of the two, Insipidus is caused by a damaged pituitary gland or by resistance to the hormone vasopressin (ADH) which regulates the kidneys, leading to all that urinating while still having a BG level short of what would normally cause the kidneys to start working overtime to spill ketones.

It could also be related to problems with the Thyroid gland, which would at least is finally something I have a family history of, small comfort…

No comments: