Advertisement

Monday, May 5, 2008

Blackened Salmon Patties

Here is an easy way to get a bit more fish, and by serving it with my dirty eggs ‘n ham as the side the combination had very… very few carbs. While the fish can be a bit dull in flavor it has an excellent texture, and the dirty eggs ‘n ham makes up the flavor deficit, being a tad spicy. I'll post a how-to on those later...

Carbohydrates: 6-10
Fructose: None
Glycemic Index: NA

Ingredients:
1 (14.75 ounce) can canned salmon
1 egg
1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
Light dusting of powdered garlic to suit

How:
Drain and reserve liquid from salmon. Mix egg, onion, bread crumbs and salmon together. Make into patties. Add reserve as needed to make sticky enough to form patty. In a frying pan, heat olive oil on high. Brown on each side, turning gently since they will try to fall apart until browned. Turn heat down to medium, let them cook thoroughly, blackening the sides to suit. It’ll make four or five patties, if you cook until browned you can save the extras for the next day (or two) in the fridge and reheat by taking from brown to blackened, back in the frying pan.

Results:
While I’ve never been a big fan of fish, these always work out well. The texture is good and if served with something spicy, like my dirty eggs ‘n ham, it works out as a real treat that doesn’t take much work. Plus it’s cheap.

Effects on BG Level:
As you can see from the chart, it’s a very low spike, due mostly to the lack of carbs (the breadcrumbs are about it.) It started to fall back at a reasonable rate as well making it back into the ninties by bedtime. Very high in protein, I’m making it a regular for nights before a heavier workout.

I did start out at a lower baseline than I have been recently. I don't know if its just a random thing, being back in the eighties, or if adding a Alpha-Lipoic Acid pill to my supplements dropped my baseline just a tad.

No comments: