Advertisement

Monday, May 12, 2008

One for two, sort of...

I ordered a couple of new food items to try, stuff I couldn’t get at the store, via Amazon. First was the “Dreamfields” low-carb pasta, which is also a new sponsor for Diabetes Daily. While ordering it, Amazon recommended the “Dixie Carb Counters” country biscuit mix. I really miss biscuits, so I went ahead and got it as well.

The Pasta worked extremely well on taste. The only real difference between it and my old pasta was that it doesn’t stick together quite as much. But frankly it was delicious. It also had a lot lower post meal spike than normal pasta. Even with two slices of stone ground wheat, it topped in the one fifties. Once I dropped the fifty carbs the bread was adding it was fine and will become a staple for me.

The biscuit mix, on the other hand, was not so good. It calls itself, “Health food that tastes like junk food.” In reality, it was indescribable. But I’ll try anyway. Imagine going out onto a gravel driveway, during the winter, and scrapping up some gravel mixed with rock salt and dog urine. Liberally mix in some rancid lard. Bake until the smell would make a rat gag, and finally, if you are me, nibble one edge, vomit profusely and toss the remainder in the trash.

But the pasta was excellent…

No comments: