Advertisement

Monday, April 28, 2008

Fat vs. Lean Muscle

While I am waiting a bit for the opportunity to get a GAD test, to be sure I’m with the 70% of lean people who have type 2 and not the 30% who have 1.5, I decided to go with the odds for now and revamp my workout under the assumption I’m a two.

The difference is simple enough. Insulin resistance, which type 2’s have, can be decreased by increasing the ratio of lean muscle to fat. I have some fat, I am pushing fifty (not that I get any credit for lugging such a large number around) and my waist has expanded to a 33” over the last couple of years. So my aerobic routine continues. But with the fairly low amount of fat for me to lose it makes sense for me to make an effort to gain lean muscle at the same time. If I am in fact a 2. Once I get the test, if I come back positive for the antibodies, then exercise isn't quite as critical to success and I can reevaluate.

So Saturday it was over to the Y for some weight training. And Sunday was a day to remember just how much that can hurt if you over do it.

No comments: