Advertisement

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Coenzyme Q10

Here is another under researched supplement with occasional delusions of grandeur. My problem with this one is that it doesn’t have an underlying theory, or even anecdotal evidence of lower BG levels. Its main claim to fame is that it may be useful in preventing heart disease, but it hasn’t been tested. I see no reason to consider it to my routine.

Speaking of which, at the moment my daily supplements of choice are:
* Centrum multivitamin, to catch trace elements I might be overlooking.
* Baby aspirin, as a blood thinner to reduce chances of heart attack.
* Alpha-Lipoic Acid, 200 mg daily, to see if it will lower my pre-meal baseline numbers.
* L-Carnitine, 200 mg Daily, since when I stopped for a week I was less able to recover after a work-out. Seems to help me reduce soreness from over-exertion, but may just be in my head.
* Garlic, Liqua-caps, aged and more in my diet in general (powdered and cloves), for possible lipid lowering effect.
* Omega-3 capsules, to try to lower triglycerides.
This surely is enough with the pills. If I suddenly stop blogging you’ll know I choked to death on the damn things. As to whether they do any good at all? The jury is out on that one and will be for quite awhile.

Side effects, of Coenzyme Q10, by the way, include interaction with blood thinners, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and heartburn.

No comments: