Advertisement

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sirloin steak w/lemon sauce, fish sticks’n tarter, and banana w/chocolate dollop

Here’s a test I’ve been thinking of, a nearly no-carb meal. The dollop is, frankly, a tiny bit of syrup, otherwise it has virtually no carbs. So what does going so low in carbs mean to my meal spike? Will I still have one at all? Just a modest raise, or stay flat? Here goes…

Carbohydrates: 6-10
Fructose: Very Low
GI Index: N/A


Ingredients:
4 tblspns margarine
½ Cup Onion
1 Bay Leaf
½ tsp. dried thyme
1 ½ cups, red wine
1 New York steak (@1 pound)
3 tblspns dried parsley
1 tblspn lemon juice
10 Groton’s fish sticks
Tarter sauce
1 Medium Banana
Very small, remember I said very small, dollop of Hershey’s chocolate syrup.

How:
Put tarter sauce aside, let it get to room temp. Start baking fish sticks in oven bake at 425 for about fifteen minutes.

Start the steak sauce. In skillet melt 2 tablespoons of margarine over high heat. Sauté onions, bay leaf, and thyme 2-3 minutes or until onions are transparent. Add wine and cook until reduced by 1/3 in volume. Set aside everything but the bay leaf (toss it). The sauce itself is good for two or three steaks and will keep in the fridge for a bit.

In same skillet, still on high, sear steak for 1 ½ minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium, add 2 more tablespoons of margarine, parsley, and lemon juice. Then add sauce. Cook steak for 2-4 minutes per side to suit.

Cut banana into chunks and place in bowl, pour just a whisper of chocolate syrup and serve cold.

Results:
This is my very best steak and I’d be willing to put it up against anybody’s. I used to serve it with a baked potato, but I tried fish sticks thinking the tartar sauce would work OK with the lemon.

Remind me to stop thinking. As a combo it’s beyond awful. The Steak is so good and the sticks so bad, and the flavors clash besides, so much so that I couldn’t stand it. I’ll try again someday with something else for a side.

It was impressive how just a tiny bit of chocolate, once you’ve stopped shoving it down your throat every minute, can be a real dessert treat.

Effect on BG Level:
Lowest spike of any meal I’ve tested so far (not that that is many yet), just a 125 despite starting with a bit of a high baseline of 91. It also seems to drop very slowly still being 6 points above baseline two hours after the meal. It fits with everything I’ve been reading.

No comments: