Advertisement

Friday, May 2, 2008

The five most important pieces of advice

Diabetes daily asked its readers, with blogs like yours truly, to list their five most helpful pieces of advice you won’t find in a book, then linking here to this Wikibetes entry where they will compile the results.

This one is more than a bit of trouble for me, since I really can’t exclude stuff from books without giving up many of my favorites. I became voracious researcher on the subject of Diabetes in the first place as my own form of coping mechanism when I got the call from Dr. Yang, so I did get a lot of this from books, research papers, and sundry. Rather than skip out on this challenge I decided to do what I do when I hate the rules. Cheat. So most of these are in a book somewhere... Go ahead Elizabeth, send the blog police after me, I dare you.

My favorites, for a new Type 2, in no particular order...

1. Test…Test...Test. Log the results and bring them to your next appointment. Don’t whine about your doctor not helping while denying him or her data that they need to do the job.

2. Do something about the test results. It does little good to test and then keep the same behaviors. If your BG level is outside your goal, then change your diet or exercise routine until it’s not.

3. Eat smaller meals more often, to lower the post-meal spikes.

4. Set a high bar. Your blood sugar levels may never reach the same levels as a non-diabetic but that’s no reason not to try.

5. Plan ahead. Know what you are going to eat and how it affects you as much as you can before you eat it. Minimize rules of thumb and guesswork.

My five favorite Diabetes related blogs…

I like the way the Divine Ms M writes, so check out Being M.
Diabetes Mine is done by a professional writer, and it shows.
Not technically a blog, but the NIH site on diabetes is very informative.
Also not a blog, and not about diabetes, but Karen’s Kitchen is useful when you need, as I did, to start cooking a bunch of new foods.
Finally, the most informative blog of all, Junk Food Science.

No comments: